Boonton Fire Department
fireworks+safety+640.jpg

Firework Safety

Firework Safety

Hand-held sparklers, ground-based sparklers, and novelty fireworks are now legal in New Jersey. While these can be fun, you must use them safely.

Dangers

·         Sparklers can burn up to 3,000 degrees, this can easily burn you, or light surrounding things on fire.

·         Sparklers often drop hot ash and material on the ground, which can ignite brush or grass.

·         Sparkler fountains spew sparks all over, which can ignite nearby brush, trees, or even structures.

Safe use and Disposal:

·         Wear gloves for hand-held sparkers.

·         Put them in a bucket of water when they are finished, let them soak for 10 minutes and then throw out.

·         For ground- based fountains, place them on a hard surface such as concrete or from any structures or combustible  materials, light them and get away quickly.

·         Once it is done burning, don’t approach it for 5 minutes.

·         Soak it in a bucket of water for 10 minutes and then throw out.

fireworks.jpg